Social Concerns Commission Minutes, July 13 2023
August 3, 2023 | | Social Concerns Minutes Archive
Attendees: Luis and Rosa Campos; Dcn Jim Hankins, Bob & Jackie Heigert, Stephanie Koch, Sharon Konuch, Patty McNally; Tony Baldridge, Theresa Brown, Karen Pither, Katie Thorman, David Gregg, Don and Joan Woods
- Opening Prayer and Reflection: Joan Wood provided a beautiful prayer that reflects the mission of Social Concerns with serving and being a resource to our community.
- Commitment to Mission prayer – Everyone prayed together.
- Our Lady of the Lake Parish Directory: We have 183 total pictures for the directory. The Directory Committee met with Mike Dust, Unique Church Solutions, and was briefed with the layout process for the development of our directory. Once completed and sent it, will take 4 to 6 weeks to complete a draft, return for review, and then returned for printing which again will take 4 to 6 weeks for printing. A directory of those that had their pictures taken will be included.
- Ministry to Families & Ministry to those in Need: (Salva vida Outreach)—Dcn. Jim stated that we continue to provide monthly services for two gentlemen by taking them to the Hope House; we continue to provide support for those requesting/needing assistance with either providing monetary support, blessing bags, gas cards, and/or information with local support centers, i.e. Compass Health, The Hub, MOCA, etc.
- Funeral Dinners, Compassion Meals & Kindness Meals: Dcn Jim stated we had eight Kindness Meals in May and seven in June with providing one Compassion Meal. Beginning July 19th, three additional kindness meals will be provided on a regular basis. If you would like to help with this ministry, please call Lusica.
- Ministry of Health and Well Being –Stephanie encouraged everyone to go see the movie, “Sound of Freedom”. It was about the problem of Human Trafficking, a multi-billion-dollar industry that occurring in the United States. She also mentioned a local group that is addressing this issue, “Lake of the Ozarks Stop Human Trafficking Coalition.” They meet monthly at various locations where Stephanie provided a flyer showing the meeting locations.
- We had 75 bottles picked up on Mother’s Day weekend and to-date, we have had 63 returned that included two ½ gallon jugs. We are awaiting information from the PHC with the final count. There will be no 5K run/walk this year due to a lack of law enforcement available. In place of this event, PHC is sponsoring a baked goods booth at the Apple Festival in Versailles on October 7 & 8.
- Patty and Stephanie stated that they will start ramping up the support for the Advent Angel Tree. We will continue to provide support for 165 children/seniors to include 150 to the Hope House, five to Lake Side Meadows-Stonebridge; five to Lake Ozark Rehab; and five to Helping Hands. The schedule for support is: October 2 – Forms Out, October 30 -Forms Back, Nov 9 & 10 – Ornament Decorations, Nov 5/6 and 11/12 – Bulletin/Facebook/Website/Pulpit Announcements; Nov 5/6 & 11/12 – ornaments out for pick-up; Dec 3 – Gifts back to church, Dec 8 – Gifts distributed between 10am-2pm.
- Hope House is beginning to distribute school supplies on Monday. Sharon & Katie thanked everyone for the donations. The children receive supplies along with a new backpack and a voucher for a new pair of shoes.
- Ashley Wiskirchen from Catholic Charities contacted us to host a “Parish Engagement and Charity Event” (PEACE) event this September 2023. These events will include formation in Catholic Social Teaching and what it means to be an “agent” of Charity. Plan is to assist with hosting an event at Bestgen Hall. Point of Contact is Dcn Jim.
- Social Concerns will coordinate with all commissions, parish council, and other Our Lady of the Lake organizations, and sponsor a potluck to welcome new parishioners once a quarter. The first potluck will occur in the Fall 2023.
- Safe environment training – Website: https://diojeffcity.org/safe-environment. After you’ve completed the training, please contact Dcn. Jim so that he can pass your name along to Vicki Irsik who is the Virtus Training Point of Contact for Our Lady of the Lake. It takes about one hour to complete the course.
- Next Meeting Date: Next meeting will be Thursday, 10 August 2023. Prayer leader is Jackie Hiegert.
- Closing Pastoral Plan Prayer was prayed by all.