Social Concerns Commission Minutes, 15 January 2021
Social Concerns Commission
Our Lady of the Lake Catholic Church, Lake Ozark, Missouri
Thursday, January 15, 2021
Attendees: Dcn Jim Hankins, Lusica Hankins, Stephanie Koch, Theresa Brown, Jan Metz, Msgr. Makarewicz, Karen Pither, Kerri Brauman, Katie Thorman, Dr. Laura Nelson, Glenda Hinrichs, and Dianne Richardson
- Opening Prayer and Reflection: Dianne Richardson gave a beautiful prayer and reflection. She talked about your feelings on the inside being expressed on your face. We should always remember that a quick compliment to someone else could make such a difference in their day.
- Commitment to Mission prayer – All prayed together.
- Advent Giving Tree update – Dcn Jim provided an update on the Advent Giving Tree gifts. Five gifts were not picked up initially and taken to Hope House for final distribution. Three families were contacted leaving two gifts. With coordination of Hope House on December 24, Dcn. Jim took those bags of gifts along with four bags of gifts from Hope House to Helping Hands. Pat and Larry Buschjost have done a wonderful job of putting this together for these past three years. Dcn. Jim and Lusica Hankins, with continued support from the Social Concerns Commission, will be in charge beginning next year.
- Salva vida Outreach – We continue to provide support as needed and requested. Dcn Jim continues to provide monthly transportation support to one gentleman to the Hope House and other locations as needed. Dcn Jim will be meeting with Pastor Bill Foglesong of Eldon regarding the housing situation in this area. Pastor Bill is a member of Ministerial Alliance that provides support to the Eldon/Miller county area. He additionally can provide support for those outside Miller county through the Salvation Army. An area and point of interest discussed was the homelessness within the area where we have extremely limited shelter support. Dcn Jim will continue discussions with Paster Bill and the Ministerial Alliance to keep a homeless shelter dialogue alive. Additionally, Dr. Nelson indicated that there are also homeless students in need of support. An area to engage are Federal Grants with the need of someone who has grant writing experience.
- Update Parish Rosters: Msgr Makarewicz says that by February 1, 2021, he wants us to conduct another phone outreach to parish members. Msgr indicated he would provide some talking points to Dcn Jim who will develop a draft script. This would include not only asking about their will being but any assistance with Covid-19 inoculation. They can get on Lake Regional’s website or Mercy’s website and sign-up. If they do not have internet access, then they can call 573-348-7444. Msgr indicated he would write up something with regards to Covid-19 inoculation information with regards to sign-up, support, to include transportation support.
- Networking for employment support: Continued goal is to provide a link between those needing employment and those looking for workers in our community. Dianne Richardson has worked in this field of employment services/support and will provide an email listing of those agencies one can go to and search for employment. We will provide these lists within the blessing bags.
- Spiritual: Msgr indicated that we just completed the Christmas season that was as beautiful as always. Msgr is looking for another Women’s Welcome Weekend to include a Men’s Welcome Weekend. These are important with engaging and spiritually welcoming our new parishioners.
- Funeral Dinners and Compassion Meals: Lusica Hankins stated that we have had no request/support for funeral meals. We will be delivering compassion meal assistance to ten of our parishioners on January 21st. Dcn Jim indicated that Lisa Hill is the POC for the Osage Beach area for meals on wheels. Her contact number is 573-348-2909. This is seven pack frozen meals that provides one week of support. There is a request for a $4 donation per meal but can be waived if needed.
- Budget: Dcn Jim stated that there was a $500 donation for blessing bags support. No other budget updates currently.
- Pregnancy Center; Glenda Hinrichs provided an update. She received an email from Teresa Faber indicated that they had need of two positions. Glenda will forward their job openings to the parish office so that they can be listed in the upcoming bulletin. Lusica indicated that the Pregnancy Center has vignettes that volunteers watch that support their engagement with clients. As such, she believed that some of the vignettes could be useful to our High School students. Msgr indicated that this is a good idea and to discuss with Karen Blevins and Vickie Irsik.
- Race Relations/Equal Opportunity – Actionable Steps Assisting Catholics with reflecting and responding in Faith to discrimination. Dcn. Jim provided two good articles with regards to a racially integrated military. With that, Msgr is checking with Pastor Roberto Ike in Jefferson City to see if he can offer some information, support, and guidance on this issue. Father Ike is from Nigeria and a sociology professor at Lincoln University.
- Social Concerns’ Leadership in the Parish’s Pastoral Plan Dcn. Jim stated that in the November 15th bulletin that the pastoral plan is mapped out as far all the committees working together towards one mission. Msgr indicated that the Social Concerns Commission is well on its path with meeting that mission.
- Seven Key Ministries and coordinators: Ministry to Families – Deacon Jim and Lusica Hankins; Ministry to the Poor – Deacon Jim and Lusica Hankins; Ministry for Protecting Life – Glenda Hinrichs and Theresa Brown; Ministry to the Community – Stephanie Koch; Ministry of Hospitality and Fellowship – Theresa Brown; Ministry to the Oppressed – Vacant; Ministry of Health and Well-Being – Jan Metz and Diane Richardson. Note: Will start working on a plan of outreach to those in the hospital, nursing homes during this time of Covid-19.
- Next Meeting Date: Our next committee meeting will be held on February 11, at 6pm via Zoom. Kerri Brauman will provide opening prayer and reflection.
- Closing Prayer: Pastoral Plan Prayer was prayed by all the Team Members.