Social Concerns Minutes – May 13, 2021
Social Concerns Commission
Our Lady of the Lake Catholic Church, Lake Ozark, Missouri
Thursday, May 13, 2021
Attendees: Theresa Brown, Lusica Hankins, Dcn. Jim Hankins, Msgr. Makarewicz, Stephanie Koch, Katie Thorman, Glenda Hinrichs, Jan Metz, Kerri Braumann, and David Gregg
1. Opening Prayer and Reflection: Dcn. Jim Hankins gave a thought provoking/timely reflection. Jesus saying it is better to go and move on and always stay focused on the big picture. Timely because of Msgr. Makarewicz announcement that he will be leaving us the end of June.
2. Commitment to Mission prayer – All prayed together.
3. Salva vida Outreach – Dcn. Jim is currently giving rides to a gentleman to Wal-Mart and Hope House. Dcn Jim will be requesting an update on the phone system for the St. Teresa room.
4. Update Parish Rosters: Msgr. Makarewicz stated that 4 of the books have been returned with several requesting visits to receive Communion to include Confessions and Anointing of the Sick. Msgr indicated this has really been great to outreach to all of our parishioners. Msgr indicated that he had 70 letters to provide to those parishioners that we did not have current phone numbers on file. Kerri Braumann offered her assistance in helping prepare these letters for mailing on Tuesday, 18 May, after the 0800 Mass.
5. Networking for employment support: Dcn. Jim indicated that he did not have any requests for Job Assistance/Support but that there were many jobs available in the area. He indicated to let us know for networking purposes if we come across those in need of jobs. Theresa Brown stated that Central Bank has several job openings at the present time.
6. Spiritual: Msgr. Makarewicz said that with dispensation ending June 1st, he felt like several others would be coming back to Mass soon. Msgr. will be leaving as of July 1st and taking an assignment in Kirksville, MO, Mary Immaculate Parish, the Kirksville Newman Center and the Mission of St. Rose of Lima, Novinger, MO. Our new Pastor will be Fr. Ignacio Medina who is currently serving at St. Stanislaus Parish, Wardsville, MO, and St. Margaret of Antioch Parish, Osage Bend, MO.
7. Funeral Dinners and Compassion Meals: Lusica said that they are currently delivering 12 kindness meals per month. If they have more people requesting kindness meals, then another group will need to be formed for cooking and deliveries. Theresa Brown, Glenda Hinrichs, Katie Thorman, and Karen Pither have volunteered to support this second group.
8. Budget: Dcn Jim sent the 2021-2022 budget to Kelly. It is the same as last year with one addition. Dcn. Jim requested an additional $4,000 to support Thanksgiving turkeys for Hope House.
9. Pregnancy Care Center: Glenda Hinrichs reported that all the baby bottles were picked up by 10am Mass and they are to be returned no later than June 19–20, Father’s Day weekend. All agreed with supporting the Pregnancy Care Center 5K walk/run on October 2, 2021 with a $500 sponsorship.
10. Race Relations/Equal Opportunity – Actionable Steps Assisting Catholics with reflecting and responding in Faith to discrimination. Msgr. said that Bishop McKnight’s comment that racism was still an issue in the US was getting many comments.
11. Divorce Outreach: Linda Bulkalski is heading committee. Wednesday, May 26th, will be a planning and introductory briefing for those considering about signing up for the 13-week program that focuses on the steps to move forward after divorce to include the annulment process.
12. Neighbor’s In Need: The April 27th meeting was very good. Actions were being taken to develop a plan to get agencies in the area to work together for the betterment of the community. Little houses will be built soon in Camdenton, County, as part of the Front Porch Village project. These houses range from 400 to 600square feet. We discussed possible sponsorship with funding one of the houses to be built.
13. Diocese Office of Women’s Ministry Council: With their pastors’ permission, these representatives will help guide, direct, and implement women’s ministry activities, programs and events within their respective parishes and deaneries. We need Spirit-led women, who are strong in their Catholic faith, who have gifts of organization and hospitality, and who will encourage other women to use the gifts God has given them to serve others. We continue to reach out to those would like to represent Our Lady of the Lake.
14. Seven Key Ministries and coordinators:a. Ministry to Families – Deacon Jim and Lusica Hankinsb. Ministry to the Poor – Deacon Jim and Lusica Hankinsc. Ministry for Protecting Life – Glenda Hinrichs and Theresa Brownd. Ministry to the Community – Stephanie Koche. Ministry of Hospitality and Fellowship – Theresa Brownf. Ministry to the Oppressed – Vacantg. Ministry of Health and Well-Being – Jan Metz and Diane Richardson.
15. Next Meeting Date: Our next committee meeting will be held on June 10 at 5:30pm at Bestgen Hall. We are having a potluck dinner for Msgr. Makarewicz. Bring your favorite dish to share. A true “potluck!”
16. Prayer and Reflection leader for next meeting: Kerri Braumann
17. Closing Pastoral Plan Prayer