Social Concerns Minutes – September 9, 2021
Social Concerns Commission
Our Lady of the Lake Catholic Church, Lake Ozark, Missouri
Thursday, September 9, 2021
Attendees: Theresa Brown, Fr. Medina, Stephanie Koch, Lusica Hankins, Jim Hankins,
Karen Pither, Kerri Brauman, and Dr. Laura Nelson
1. Opening Prayer and Reflection: – Stephanie gave a beautiful reflection on serving others and if we only serve one person that there is value in this and it’s important.
2. Commitment to Mission prayer – Everyone prayed together.
3. Ministry to Families & Ministry to the Poor (Salva vidaOutreach) – Dcn Jim stated that we continue to serve a number of people that call the church regarding support. We continue to supply blessing bags, gift cards for food and gas, along with car rides to Wal-Mart and the Hope House. We received a $1,500 grant from RE/MAX Lake of the Ozarks “Joining Hands with our Community” charitable foundation. With this support we have on/about $7,500 in our budget to assist/support those in need within our community.
4. Update Parish Rosters: Currently we have one remaining notebook. NOTE: Notified post meeting that this had been completed.
5. Networking for employment support: Numerous job openings within the Lake of the Ozark area.
6. Funeral Dinners, Compassion Meals & Kindness Meals:Lusica – 10 kindness meals; 2 compassion meals were offered that were kindly declined, one funeral dinner was served and feed 93 people. All went well. If anyone knows of someone who would be a good candidate for a monthly kindness meal, please pass name on to Father Medina, Melodi or Lusica.
7. Ministry of Health and Well Being –No updates at this time.
8. Ministry for Protecting Life (Pregnancy Care Center): Glenda sent correspondence prior to the meeting as she was unable to attend. One additional baby bottle was returned making the total raised: $1,157. She also sent an email containing the link to sign up to work the pregnancy care center walk on October 2, 2021.https://www.givesignup.org/Race/Volunteer/MO/LakeOzark/Walk5KRunforLife. They are in need of reliable people to fill the positions of Course Marshal. LOPD is short staffed right now so they need to have people assisting them in directing traffic at a few locations or it is possible that this event will not be approved. If you have further questions, please contact Nadine Kelsay at 573-375-1047 or 573-346-3337.
9. Ministry to the Community – Stephanie Koch—A parishioner is requesting support with moving with a tentative date of Thursday, 16 September. NOTE: Post meeting this date is now Friday, 24 September. Dcn Jim is coordinating this effort and requests if you can provide any support. In addition, Stephanie Koch will be contacting and assisting Kitty Bagby with gettingSundays Masses streamed on her computer. The Advent Tree dates are being coordinated to include – October 4th will be the kickoff, forms are to be returned by October 29th, Parishioners will be able to take names for gift giving at Masses on November 14/15 and 21/22 November. All gifts returned to church no later than December 3rd with distribution on 10 December.
10. Ministry of Hospitality and Fellowship (Sunday Donuts support) – Theresa Brown reported that the donut shop in the old Risky’s mall is now open. As of now, the Knights of Columbus are coordinating for a chairperson with more to follow once the Knights of Columbus breakfasts have concluded for this year.
11. Virtus (safe environment) Training: Website: https://diojeffcity.org/safe-environment for those that still need to complete this training. It takes about one hour.
12. Next Meeting Date: Our next committee meeting will be held on October 14, at 6pm
13. Prayer and Reflection leader for next meeting: Dcn Jim
14. Closing Pastoral Plan Prayer was prayed by all.